Saturday, January 24, 2009

what you buy, where it comes from, where the money goes and more... SOME QUESTIONS?

I am not an economic advisor, counselor, scholar or anything remotely close. I am not even that good with my own finances but let me ask you this...

do you buy American? I am not simply talking about cars but cloths, furniture, or electronics. Do you buy American? or is it hard to buy American because it is impossible to find anything made in this country. 

Do you buy foreign products from an American company? How many American companies sell products that are made in Taiwan, Colombia, Japan, China, Germany, or Mexico. Why are these products made there and not here. Well, for my money and from what I've heard it is so that the products you buy can be cheaper for you. The cost to make your television, car, shoes or watch is simply lesser than if it were made in the US. 

I am not going to talk about the tremendous job loss caused by companies selling out the American dream for their own pockets. The job loss SUCKS and if I could do something about it I would, like slap an executive or try to buy more American made goods rather than foreign. 

The purpose of this blog is to pose a couple of simple questions that I do not have the answer for? If it costs so much less to make products outside of the United States of America then why is everything cost the same or more? Why do sneakers still cost hundred of dollars despite being made in China where the minimum wage in the most economically sound province (yes province) is the american equivalent to $120 per month? Yes per month. Yes, that does seem like a lot when you can buy A Big Mac at McDonalds for slightly less than 2 bucks. Colombia has a minimum wage for a 48 hour work week and is also based on a monthly wage. But some jobs do not qualify for minimum wage status. As of 2008, the monthly minimum is equivalent to $229 US dollars. Despite many earning decent hourly wages, as of 2007 Germany had no minimum wage. 

With the economy in flux, why aren't prices dropping instead of rising? Sure some of those discounts might be greater at your local mall but check the list price and you may not be surprised to discover that the original price has gone up by 20% and that additional promotion of 15% off is not that exciting. 

I am not wise enough to connect all the dots and if I could the dots might look like a Stegosaurus instead of a real answer to our economic problems. All I know, is that I would like to buy more American made things but where and how? any suggestions would be appreciated. 

I could be wrong but I am not making any claims to be right. I am just confused and wanting some answers. 

1 comment:

Lisa Peterson said...

good thoughts overall. if you find any answers do inform. i try to buy local as far as food is concerned. do a google search on alice waters and her local food movement in ca. it started a whole revolution. there's this cool restaurant in cville called revolutionary soup. it makes wonderful sandwiches too. anyway all of its produce is within 30 miles away. milk, cheese, flour, sprouts, vanilla, garlic, you name it..all comes from local farms and mills and dairies. now that's rad.