Sunday, January 11, 2009

heath ledger and awards, this is not a kiss ass blog

let me say this... i am very sorry for his death. Not because I had something to do with it or could have prevented it but I am sorry that he died because his death brought pain to so many. 

let me say this... because he is dead I am not going to kiss his ass. I have seen The Dark Knight and I have seen pretty much every other film he has performed in and I have never been that impressed. He has never been a great actor and on occasion has been a good actor. He was good in Brokeback Mountain and in the Dark Knight but I am not like the rest who were/are ready to give him every award known to man for his performance as The Joker. 

Ledger was never a good actor. He was not a good actor for many reasons, primarily his inability to convince me of any role he had played. He always looked mechanical. He rarely spoke his lines like they were not overly rehearsed. He never convinced me that he was the role and not heath ledger. If this last sentence doesn't make sense to you then study some acting but I will elaborate for a moment. When you watch a play, a television show or movie and see an actor there should be moments or hopefully the whole performance when you forget that the person acting is an actor. When you see Brando perform, you do not see Brando you see the character he is playing. The same thing could be said for DeNiro, Streep, and a few other actors.  I hate to break this to you but few actors are great actors.  

Yes, the media has proclaimed Ledger heroic in his performance as The Joker but what major media journalist or critic is going to criticize his performance. Few were even daring to say that his performance was not superior than Jack Nicholson's performance, which by the way, are two radically different interpretations of the role. What critic or journalist is going to say that Ledger was decent or serviceable in his performance after his tragic death leaving behind a new born baby. I don't think there are many brave enough to criticize Ledger's performance or not kiss his ass. If there is an article, critic or journalist who has done this then please inform me and I will write a letter to him or her and praise them for not being a sheep. Well they have to have a good reason for their criticism.

Heath Ledger, i am sorry for you, your family and friends and hope that you are in a better place but i am not going to say you were a good actor or a great talent. You may have been a good person or a great guy to play a round of golf with or grab a pint with but i didn't know you and i don't think think your death was any greater or lesser than any other person who has died in the past. Death is never a good thing but it is a part of life, unfortunately it is one of the sadder moments in this roller coaster ride. 


No comments: