Thursday, January 1, 2009

the Best albums of 2008...

Every year I write a Top Ten Albums of the Year list because I feel that my list is better than the competition (amazon.com, Rolling Stone, Spin, etc.). My list is better because I don’t know any of the artists and do not feel a need to kiss their ass. My list is better because I do not feel the pressure of the record industry to push certain records to the masses. My list is better because it simply is. Now, with this in mind I am just one man and I do not work at a record store, record company or record review magazine so I do not get a chance to listen every record that is released. I cannot afford to listen or buy every record that is released but I do read plenty of articles from various magazines. I do try to listen to any record recommended to me or that has any type of hype going for it, commercial, word of mouth or critical. I love music.

 

The Top 10

10. The Helio Sequence – Keep Your Eyes Ahead

This Portland duo usually finds their sound buried in sonic boom and subtlty but this time it is the folk acoustics that have made this album unique. After spending two months in which lead singer Brandon Summers was ordered to stop singing and talking, the band remerged with a new commitment to their craft. Inspired by Dylan but sounding a bit more like Springsteen, the Helio Sequence combine their keyboard, loop, and computer infused rock with the soft sound of acoustic folk guitar. A great album to dust of those headphones and enjoy.

 

9. Raphael Saadiq – The Way I See It

Raphael Saadiq has always had talent, whether in Tony! Toni! Tone!, Lucy Pearl or in his solo career but his talent alone or with group has never produced a quality record like this one. Philly Soul and Motown are revived in this fun record in which most of the cuts are shorter than four minutes and they twist, shake, rattle and roll. Saadiq’s voice will remind anyone of Smokey Robinson and though his lyrics may not be as clever the Motown glory days, Saadiq makes up for it in honesty and directness. Contributions from Joss Stone, Stevie Wonder and Jay-Z do not hurt either.

 

8. Tokyo Police Club – Elephant Shell

Ontario’s favorite sons bring a bit more muscle to their hipster rock than let’s say Vampire Weekend but the muscle doesn’t lack intellect.  Rhythm changes, great hooks and shout out choruses make this record work. Tokyo Police Club were able to ditch some of the Strokes comparisons and make a hit record even if I have to look up words like ‘tessellate.’ 


7. R.E.M. – Accelerate

Many of us have been waiting for a return to form, while others thought that R.E.M. had really become the Michael Stipe Band since the departure of drummer Bill Berry in the late 90’s. Their new record rocks. R.E.M. is rarely remembered for their rocking days and many often forget how unique their rock sound is. After all, R.E.M was able to inspire bands like the Pixies, Radiohead and countless other groups. This album captures, Peter Buck’s great electric sound on guitar, the diversity of Mike Mills on the bass, keyboards and backing vocals, as well as their strongest lyrics since Automatic for the People. This album is a wonderful return for arguably America’s greatest rock band.

 

6. She & Him – Volume One

Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward released the most charming record of the year. A bit of California, the south and a lot of sunshine make this record work. That might seem like the loftiest praise I could give but it is true. They might not receive points for complex composition but over time the originals outshine the covers and after every listen Deschanel’s voice becomes another legal addictive.

 

5. My Morning Jacket – Evil Urges

Jim James is a genius. From the audacity of “Highly Suspicious” to the sexuality of “Touch Me I’m Going to Scream, Pt. 1 & 2” to the simple beauty of “Librarian.” It might be a long record but is that a bad thing when discussing this band? My Morning Jacket could have been the band of year due to this album and a slew of impressive performances including a 4-hour set at Bonnaroo that rocked the world. It is hard not to think that this is a mere sample of what James can do when he truly wants to explore soul music. Unlike any of their previous records, I love and hate this record, push it away and pull it closer to me. Maybe it was all the hype before the album’s release or the sheer anticipation of the (unfairly labeled) Radiohead of America? Needless to say, this is a record that I listen to a great deal not just because of how interesting it is but how good it sounds. 

 

4. The Gaslight Anthem – the ’59 Sound

This New Jersey band made the best straight forward rock record of the year. A singing style and lyrics that emulate a youthful Springsteen, the Gaslight Anthem explore love and open spaces, the nostalgia of great music, sneakers and tattoo art. Often overlooked as just another punk band, The Gaslight Anthem brings the fist pump to a Springsteen like rock’n’roll. A great album to drive 65 (or faster) on a the highway to be closer to the people you love.

 

3. Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes

Think of the more delicate moments from bands like My Morning Jacket and Arcade Fire and you have Fleet Foxes. Indie rock trying to make Appalachian folk, classic rock and SoCal pop cool. (again?) The best harmonies of the year can be found on this record. Oh yes, when listening to this record one cannot help to think of vast tracks of land and the beauty of rural aesthetics.

 

2. Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend

If you know me at all then you had to imagine that this record would find itself on this list. I do not deny I was hesitant. I do not deny that I was nervous. I do not deny that I love this record. Are they the Talking Heads for a new generation? Probably not but that doesn’t mean that African drums cannot influence them in a similar way. Do I understand all of the lyrics? No. Do I love the name dropping (a la Peter Gabriel and lil’ Jon)? Yes. Do I wish I was a hip New England kid that could pull off top-siders? Maybe, the jury is still out on that one. Vampire Weekend is everything you love and hate about youthful indie rock. Their fans are everything you love and hate about indie rockers. All this love and hate doesn’t make this record any less delightful and it won’t make any of it less delightful ten years from now.

 

1. TV On The Radio – Dear Science

Hopeful but bleak, dark and beautiful, chaotic but tempered, inspired and lacking certainty are the components that define Dear Science, plus it’s essentially a dance record. How can any album top that? Oh you can’t and no record in 2008 does. It is the best produced, most lyrically potent record that exemplifies the year past. You can dance to it, you can hum to it, by god, what can’t you do to this record? TV On The Radio continue to get better and better. They still have the biggest small sound in the music business but now you can dance to it. I cannot stress the dance theme of this album enough because while other bands like MGMT or LCD Soundsystem make dance music fun and unique their music is socially and emotionally vacant. Other dance records find swim in the shallow end of the dream pool while TV on the Radio explores the lower depths of a social ocean called America.

 

 

Quick side notes

 

Best Producer – Danger Mouse. You cannot produce four quality records, one deserving to be on my top ten list (the Black Keys – Sorry) and not be the best producer of the year.

 

Biggest Disappointment – No great hip hop records this year. Very sad year for me and the first time in a long time that a hip hop record does not make my top 10 list.

 

What I don’t understand – the Jonas Brothers. Seriously? They suck. 

No comments: