Sunday, September 6, 2009

I Believe in Beatles and Me

This past week, for the first time the Beatles release their catalog in its entirety with digitally mastered sound. For some it has been a long, long wait. It is a project four years in the making and 22 years overdue, as a group of engineers in London at Abbey Road Studios with careful supervision done by Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr try to revamp, clean and perfect the sound of the most influential group in music history.

I don't think it is my job to tell you how important the Beatles are or what their music means to people. I can tell you that in the eyes of this blogger, they are the most important and greatest band of any time. I don't think there is another group as large, important, successful, idolized, revered, and influential as the Beatles. Recording 13 albums in 8 years, each with it's own sound, identity, soul, and of course breakthrough songs.

Like many my age, the Beatles were introduced to me by my parents. I was born 12 years after their official breakup and 2 years after the murder of John Lennon. A reunion was never in the cards. I never saw a live performance or had the initial thrill of their performance on the Ed Sullivan Show. As a young boy, I discovered the Beatles in my mother's car. She had the Beatles 1962-66 (also known as the Red Album) on cassette. It was a collection of their pop hits. She would play it most of the time when she drove me to school or McDonalds, to a friends house or to the store. I didn't really know who the Beatles were or what their songs meant to the billions have that enjoyed listening to their music for almost 4 decades. I thought the music was catchy and would rather listen to them over Michael Bolton or Patsy Cline. Now, I feel differently about Patsy Cline. As time passed, a new car was purchased and the cassettes were traded in for compact discs. Even though things had changed, my shy hum with the whisper of my mother singing the songs was still present in her new car.

My father never sang the Beatles with me. He was never a huge fan of rock and roll. Much of his life he declared his distaste for the musical form. Consistently showing his disapproval of rock music, he was quick to make note that rock music began and ended with the Beatles. If the classic Beatles hit, "Yesterday" has been recorded over 3,000 times by as many artists then my father was able to present me various salsa, latin folk and jazz versions of the smash hit. To this day, rock may not begin and end with the Beatles but according to my father there is little need to go elsewhere to satisfy your rock urge.

As I grew older the pop nature of songs like "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" were delightful but not as satisfying as "Strawberry Fields Forever" or "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." As a boy I didn't understand why the White Album was so important and now I understand its importance to music but I still try to unravel its effect upon me. As I grow older the same songs that had such a large effect upon me have new meanings and old favorites cement their influence.

It is hard to find people my age that appreciate the Beatles. It might not be hard to find people but it is hard for me to find friends, colleagues or music fans that will sit with me and smoke a cigarette while listening to the White Album. I don't know many who will sing the night away to Rubber Soul and Revolver. Or anyone who will toast the sunrise to "Here Comes the Sun" with a nice bottle of whiskey. I don't know many people I can connect with on the topic of music. Nor can I find anyone to share the experience of singing the Beatles the way I had with my mother on those car rides or debating the merits of rock music with my father.

It is easy to dismiss the Beatles. It seems easy to neglect their significance or how delightful their music sounds. Before their albums were re-released I had forgotten how joyous some of the songs were. It has been so easy to sit in an uncomfortable chair, worried about everything in this life and ignore all of it while listening Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I think it is easy to dismiss the mythology of the Beatles or forget how four young men with uniquely different identities, perspectives and personalities created some of the most memorable music of this or any century. The Beatles might not only be the best band in the history of music but possibly its best story.

to the Beatles... thank you.

some side notes.


favorite Beatle during the band years - John

favorite Beatle post band years and as solo artist - George

favorite Album - battle between Abbey Road and Rubber Soul

Favorite Songs (because it is impossible to pick one so here is about ten or so)
"Here Comes the Sun"
"I Want You (She's so Heavy"
"A Day In the Life"
"In My Life"
"I'll Follow the Sun"
"I've Just Seen a Face"
"The Fool On the Hill"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Don't Let Me Down"
"Get Back"

it's too hard to choose... i cannot choose all of them






No comments: