Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Radio Radio !!!


So I am driving west and unfortunately my CD player (yes, CD player) is on the fritz. I am driving thru Indianapolis combing through channels. I get stuck on a some classic rock classic and then another. So I bite. I even listen to the babble by the Disc Jockey's for a second or two.

I'm amused. I typically don't listen to the radio. Why? Because it sucks and after listening to this station my opinion won't change. But again my CD Player, (yes, CD player) was on the fritz. So they go back to the music and I am not annoyed or frustrated by the choices. It's typical Top 40 hits that you'd expect from a soft rock station. Then the babble comes back.

I don't know their names but I do know it was a man and woman (helpful right?) that began talking about the Grammy's. The guy casually joked about how surprising it was that Justin Beiber did not win the Best New Artist Award. This kind of joke is not offensive to me. The lady admits here amazement towards the Grammy's then the guy says that such things can be expected by the Grammy's because they like to shock people with who gets the awards even giving the Album of the Year honors to a band nobody has heard of. Really? Really?

Well I have heard of them and so have a lot of other people. If you don't believe me, Well it was #1 on NPR's Top Albums of 2010. It was #3 on Spin Magazine's list, #4 for Rolling Stone and # 11 on Pitchfork Media. So clearly some people know about this album and those people are singing it's praise. Maybe he was joking but I don't think so. Maybe he was just being a lazy and ignorant douche bag... Ding Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner !

Why say such harsh things? Well because either he thinks awards and award shows should only be for popular artists or maybe he thinks that just because he hasn't heard of the band that they aren't any good. In either case, he is an asshole. I mean it is not like he works for a radio station and cannot take a little time out of his day to find or listen to new music.... oh wait, he does work for a radio station and maybe he is just lazy or ignorant.

I was turned off by this and tried desperately to make my CD player work again. Thankfully, it did. This is just another example of blind ignorance that should not go unchecked. Check yourself Indianapolis 105.7. because you suck !






No comments: