Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hey! I Can Hold the Door Open

I try to be polite. I feel that many of us have broken away from common courtesy. We forget to say thank you or talk during a movie at the theater. We stick the knife we use for the jelly in the peanut butter so that little bits of jelly are left behind in the peanut butter jar. We don't wash our hands, we don't shake hands, we don't give a hand to those in need. I am not innocent either. I make mistakes. I have forgotten to lower the toilet seat or have cut off another driver on the highway. I can wait to talk instead of listen. I can hurt the ones I love. We all make mistakes.

So, I try to be polite. I try to have good manners. I try to be a good guy. One thing I do in my efforts to be a good guy is hold open doors for other people. It is a simple task that shows respect and common decency. It is a nice thing to do for someone else that takes little to no effort. It is rewarding to be thanked. A thank you, a head nod or a smile will suffice. A simple act of kindness never goes unnoticed.

Here is my problem. I hold the door open and I am very confused by the people who put out there hand as if I am incapable of holding the door open effectively. You have seen it happen. It has probably happened to you. You are holding the door wide open, in some cases as far as it can go and as someone enters or exits, putting their hand on the door. Why? Do you not trust the person holding the door? Are you scared that the door will close cutting off some part of your body like a meat slicer? Are you trying to give yourself some credit for the good act of having the door held for you? I don't understand this. It clearly bothers me.

Does it say something about the lack of trust we give others? Is it about our failure to recognize kind acts? I don't know. I am not going to stop opening doors or saying "thank you" to those who open the door for me.

1 comment:

femmediv said...

We just don't trust each other to commit to the right decision until the end, which stems from years of disappointment and plot twists. (I blame: Hollywood's new love for the unhappy ending and gratuitous toplessness; suicide bombers; modern English's recent allowance of sentences ending in prepositions; and, of course, Napster.)

But keep on keeping on, Alejo. Your manners, though sadly en route to passe, are appreciated. (Nay, adored.)