Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lazy or Just Taking Advantage of Technology?

I don't know about you but every now and then I marvel at how lazy we have become. What do I mean? You know you are lazy when you take the elevator to go down, yes down one floor. Technology as well as convenience has covered up our laziness for the sake of leisure and comfort. Things like the drive-thru, the microwave, secretaries and tanning beds are all nice luxuries that allow us to do a lot by doing very little. Some of these range in how important they are but I think you catch my drift.

Unless you are a handicapped person, you should not push this button.




I am not attacking the invention just the able-bodied assholes that use the handicap door open button because they are too lazy to grab the handle, push or pull. I don't understand the person with fully functioning physical and mental abilities using the handicap access button. Is it too physically challenging? Have your arms and shoulders muscles gone limp? Now, I can understand someone who pushes the button when holding a couple bags of groceries, a basketball, a duck while playing paddle ball. Other than that I cannot explain how lazy you must truly be. How do you get out of your car ? Do you have an assistant to push the shower curtain aside when you want to bathe? A person with two free hands and arms, healthy, able bodied with sound mind has no reason to push the handicap access button to open a door. The only reason for doing so is that they are lazy.


I get it. I really do. The times are a changing. I am pampered. I cannot deny that but there has to be some self imposed limits on these things. Is it just me but once we stop doing the little things like opening our own doors then don't we become less able to do the really challenging things in life? I hope not.

No comments: